Vacation Rentals Listed by Owner in San Miguel de Allende
Location of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
San Miguel is located in central Mexico's mountainous bajío region, 92 km (57 mi) west of the city of Guanajuato and 276 km (170 mi) northwest of Mexico City, off Highway 110. The bajío (low place) is actually about 2000 m (7000 ft) above sea level, but it is a relatively flat region surrounded by mountains; it is a part of the Mexican altiplano. San Miguel serves as the administrative seat for the surrounding municipality of Allende, Guanajuato.
Specifically San Miguel de Allende is located at 100º45’00’’ longitude west and 20º55’00’’ latitude north. The municipality rests at 1870 meters above sea level. To the north it is bordered by the municipalities of San Luis de la Paz and Dolores Hidalgo. The municipality extends over an area of 1561 square kilometers. To the west it is bordered by Dolores Hidalgo and Salamanca. To the south the municipality is bordered by Juventino Rosas and Comonfort and to the southeast by Apaseo el Grande. To the northwest it is bordered by San José Iturbide.
Population: According to the 2005 census, the municipality of Allende had a total of 139,297 inhabitants. As of 2006, the elected San Miguel city government officials were using these updated figures compiled from both the Mexican census bureau and from US consulate figures:
80,000 residents within the urban area.
60,000 residents within the 540 surrounding villages that are a part of San Miguel.
11-12,000 foreign residents at any one time, 7,000 of these on residency visas while the remainder are on tourist visas of a maximum of six months staying in private homes and Bed and Breakfasts.
Of these foreign residents, 70% are from the United States, 20% are from Canada, and the remaining 10% are from 31 other countries. If the 12,000 foreign residents who live in SMA at any one time are considered as a percentage of the SMA urban population, foreigners make up 15% of the SMA population. If the 7,000 foreign residents who are on permanent residency visas, including FM3 and FM2 visas, are considered as a percentage of the total SMA population, foreigners make up 5% of the SMA population.
Guanajuato: The historic silver mining town of Guanajuato is a UNESCO World Heritage Site famous for its colonial architecture and many museums. It is often regarded the most beautiful city in Mexico. In addition to its colonial charm, Guanajuato’s attractions range from historical silver mines, catacombs and many local festivals to vibrant nightlife and affordable shopping. Most car traffic in the city goes in underground tunnels, leaving the historic center of Guanajuato pleasantly free of motorized traffic.
The Silver City located in Central Mexico, Guanajuato is the capital city of the Mexican state of the same name. The city was founded in an area originally inhabited by Tarascan Indians in the 1550s, when a rich silver vein was discovered. Guanajuato become an important mining center that produced nearly a third of all silver produced in the world for the next 250 years. Many of the old mines are still active, but today, Guanajuato is also a cultural and university center, a World Heritage Site and a popular tourism destination, ranked frequently as one of the top travel destinations in the world.
Dolores Hidalgo: The city was a small town known simply as Dolores when Father Miguel Hidalgo uttered his famous cry for the independence of Mexico (the Grito de Dolores) there in the early hours of September 16, 1810, in front of his parish church. After Mexico achieved independence, the town was renamed Dolores Hidalgo in his honor. On September 28, 1810, Hidalgo's forces killed more than 500 Spaniard and Creole loyalist soldiers during the battle for Dolores; 2,000 Indigenous Mexicans died in the fighting. Today Dolores Hidalgo is known primarily for its ceramics industry, which provides income to well over half the city's population. The inexpensive and mass-produced output of the town is marketed throughout Latin America and the United States. The central square of the town, in front of Fr Hidalgo's historic church, is a popular tourist spot.
Queretaro: The name Queretaro is used to refer to both the city and the state. The city is located 124 miles (200 km) northwest of Mexico City, officially known as Santiago de Queretaro. It is known for its Spanish colonial architecture and geometric grid which was built next to the winding roads of the native american population which had previously inhabited the area. It is one of the only places in Mexico where the Spanish built a settlement which co-existed side by side with the indigenous population. The Spaniards reached this area in 1531 and quickly gained importance as a link between the rich mining cities (Guanajuato, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi) and Mexico City. In 1726, the donations of a Spanish nobleman made the most impressive engineering project in Queretaro possible . . . the aqueduct. It took a dozen years to build the 74 massive stone arches (finished in 1738) which continue to cary water 6 miles into the center of the city.
When America invaded Mexico and took control of Mexico City (1847), Santiago de Queretaro was declared the capital of Mexico. This lasted until the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed here in Queretaro (1848). Mexico was forced to cede the land which is now the western United States, and the former capital of Mexico (Mexico City) was once again, the capital.
In February of 1867, Maximilian I took the Imperial troops to Queretaro where he would make a stand against the Republican troops under Benito Juarez. The city was surrounded and Maximilian I would not escape with his life. He was executed by firing squad here on June 19th. On February 5th, 1917, after yet another revolution, the constitution which remains to this day was drafted here in Queretaro. Its location near Mexico City make it one of the most visited non-beach destinations in Mexico.